Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Knight and My Never

Dear Readers,
Tonight I was 100% positive on posting something completely different then what I’m about to share.
I’m sharing something personal. Vulnerable. Now, you may laugh at this if you will. For I know I plan on laughing at this in years to come but tonight, tonight I’m heartbroken.

To share a little bit about me I am a dreamer. A day dreamer. I’m a hopeless romantic. Sometimes over dramatic. Sometimes over sensitive. But, when I was 14 yrs. old I was rescued by what THEN I considered my knight in shining armor. Go ahead and laugh at that but it’s true. At 14 I had my eyes on the stars and wishing at every moment that this knight would be my story book ending.

So first let me take you back. Back to when I had just turned 14 yrs. Old. I can remember this day perfectly. It was Saturday. And the night was going to be my first church dance. Ariel and me had talked for hours the night before on what was to come, giggling and hoping to have a dance with a boy named Israel. “Oh if we could just have one dance” we said was all that was needed to make the night the night of our teenage lives.

So as the night came in and the twinkling Christmas lights were turned on, the music began to play, and I, Tierra Lynne Coleman gathered my courage. I was going to walk right up to the boy named Israel and ask him to dance. Israel was the boy everyone wanted to dance with and I was determined to get my chance. So, with the rally of girlfriends in the corner cheering me on, I took a leap of faith and walked over.
He was surrounded by friends, faces I don’t remember anymore but my eyes were set just in front of him and with every ounce of courage I had gathered I shyly but clearly said the words. “Would you like to Dance with me?” Shaking at every second, to his reply and my embarrassment was a firm “No”.

To be honest, I don’t remember what I was feeling at that moment or said. As I started to make my way back to the girlfriends and their comforting arms ….He happened…this boy whom I had never seen before came right up and grabbed my hand and asked if I would dance…with him. No other thought was given to the boy named Israel and to be honest I don’t think I’ve ever seen him since. I was rescued. Saved.

Right there in the middle of my teenage universe he became my hopeful, wish upon a star, story book ending.

Through the youth years at church we would often see each other and at every event he would always make sure to dance and chat with me. Always with a hug and always, always with a captivating smile. Sure other major crushes would come and go but it always goes back to him.

To that moment. To that hope, that someday, any day he would just see….me.

Now, as the years went by and a mission was completed he would fulfill one more saving. One more rescue in a moment, much more needed then any other in my life. We share something only the other would know the pain for, and the night of my mother’s funeral viewing, I shall never ever forget standing alone beside my mother’s coffin and greeting the huge line of guests, I saw that he was there. He came.

As I shook the hands of so many that night, trying to take myself out of the situation in order to carry on with a reassuring smile on my face that I’d be okay, he knew I was not okay. He knew my pain. He knew because he too had lost his mother when he was sixteen. And once again to the rescue, there he was at the head of the line. Pulling me aside and asking if I remembered about his mother.

It then hit me, I had just joined this unwanted club that he had already belonged to for about 6 yrs. And he knew what I was going through…

He asked if I had needed anything and if he could go and get me anything and then he hugged me as other people were waiting for my attention. As I looked over the long line still awaiting me he leaned in and said, “You can do this, take this slowly. I know what this feels like but just get through the hour, its okay to say the same thing to the next and remember I know that you can do this.” I have never shared that with anyone about our private little conversation he gave me. Nor will I ever forget it.

Now, tonight I found out that my story has another ending with some one else. Someone other then him.

For he just announced his engagement.

And yes, I am heartbroken.

Was this a silly young girl’s crush? In the beginning. Didn’t I realize that it was a major crush set up for let down? Completely. But, again theres always that hope. That wonder of...Could it be? Can it be?

So for the rest of the night I’m playing your typical heartbreak songs. And I leave you with some questions. What is your story and what was your song to get you through the night?

So now you’ve heard my story and no matter what I shall always remember him and the two moments that I will always be so thankful that it was him. For his friendship and his unfailing kindness and for being there at the right moment and the right time.

6 Lovely FeedBack:

Ann Marie said...

Oh Tierra..
I am so sad that you are sad.
We all have tales in one sort of form or another, and I have MANY.
I will maybe share a few this year.. We will see.

You are a gem, and there is a knight waiting for you somewhere out there that will sweep you off your feet one day. You have to come to UT first though! He-He!

We have Angelic people that help us through stages in our lives.. It sounds like Israel was one of those Angels...

Love you... Call anytime!

The Wonderful World of Wampler said...

My heart breaks, and I have this lump in my throat...that it making my eyes tear up. Oh, T. I am so sad. There is nothing like the death of a first love. Oh, T. I don't have any words to share, no great "life goes on" council. I wish I knew about all of this sooner, I would have come up and held you and we could cry together.
so sorry...so very sorry.

If you want....I have people, people that could put a stop to this wedding. wink, wink. just let me know, and it's done. =)

TLC said...

Leah that was the best laugh of the day about you and your "people"! I don't know, let me think on this to see if I might need them....haha. But, I think I'll be okay. Thank you for the offer. I know you know who I'm talking about the "he". I should have just went ahead and mentioned his name but just went and and left it out. I call you later today and tell you how I found out. Its kinda interesting. But, needless to say it was the facebook....ARRRRRGGGGG!!!! I hate that place!

********************************

Ann, thank you for your sweet words and yes I too believe that there are people for the right time and moments in our life and "he" definately was one of them. I'm afraid I never saw Isreal again after he said no and this other guy the "he" was the so called knight. But, not to worry I really am okay, it's just the slight shock of it all after "hoping" for so long that something different would change him.

Anonymous said...

Do you want me to beat him up? 'Cause I so will! Although the one time that I met him I thought he was a snob and he totally tried to make me look bad in front of everyone at ysa. We'll find you a better one I promise.

Heather said...

There was a point right before I met Kurt, that I thought I wanted to marry this guy name Casey. We had dated and got close and he talked about marriage. I thought I was going to marry him. Then one day he started to be a flake.

Then I met Kurt and Casey and I were still friends but we didn't see each other much by then. And then I got engaged to Kurt. Shortly after that I got Casey's invitation to his wedding in the mail and I thought I was going to be sad. I opened it up and saw him with his bride to be and I felt nothing but happiness because I loved Kurt and right there and then I realized that Heavenly Father knows what he is doing and I was marrying the right guy for me. I still a lot of the time think about that and I am so thankful that I married Kurt instead of Casey. Not that Casey was a bad guy but Kurt is so meant for me. We fit well together.

Don't worry your Knight will come for you. You are too much of a catch to pass up. The only question is he going to be good enough for you.

I remember telling Leah the same thing sometimes and I am so glad she met Even. He was her Knight. Even is awesome.

Debi (Dubs2007) said...

wow, thanks for sharing that story!! I had a knight, and kept waiting for him to make a move, he never did, and along came a guy who did, and it was beautiful. now 9/10 years later I saw my old "dream guy" and am so glad I didn't marry him... He still doesn't make moves, and I married a man who made the moves and wasn't scared to tell me he likes, loves, adores me. (by the way my old dream still isn't married!) it seemed at the time like it would last forever, but trully it isn't. And if you look back honestly you will see how good it is that it didn't work out.

BUT - some of my memories with Him are still my favorites. My memories of him saving me from being alone, making me feel worthy of a mans time, - if it hadn't been for him i wouldn't have been able to marry Dennis. I wouldn't have felt worthy of such a great man!