Monday, March 23, 2009

Get to Know Me :: Monday ::

Part Two :: The Color of Skin ::

For as long as I can remember, all my life people would ask me what my gentic background was.
I've been guessed at being asiaon, hispanic, chinese, hawwian...yada yada. But, no one has everhit it right on the nail.

So, when I first started thinking of what to do my part 2 for monday on...My first thoughts were to meet the parents. The two crazy that gave you dear, snooper, talkitive me! But then I thought, I wanted to do a post/write on an issue that in away has been a HUGE part of my life but yet a NON PART of my life subject. Race. The color of Skin.

To truly understand let me first state that I am 100% comfortable in my own skin. My race has never been an issue with me or have I ever had to deal with any racial issues until this past election.

When my parents started dating, there were some harsh feelings on my mothers completely white side of the family tree. My mother was already 33 at the time of her pregnancy with me and my grandmother whom I love/loved dearly had a very hard time coming around. Growing up I never new that, that backin the days of little tierra in the womb my moms family was just not ready--particuly my grandmother. I have never held this aganist my grandmother because for one my grandmother was born in 1922 and grew up her entire era when it was just not done. Mixing your race. Yes, it was done but was it excepted, No. And so to my grandmother, it was truly hard to understand. So lets fast forward to my grand entrance to this world. My skin color. White. -----------> Shock O-rama to the fam's on both sides.
Check out the picture below. It's one of my faves of my Dad and me at 5 months old. I love my Dad's Smile.

If you haven't guessed it my Dad is African American. My mom, an Irish redhead with extreme white skin who would practically toast herself in the sun just for a tan and die her hair blond. My mom was simply, the bomb.com that way LOL

For both sides of the family it was something to take in for sure that my skin was not as dark as they thought it would have been.
My mom always told me all my life that I was to always know that I was the way Heavenly Father wanted me to be. Skin color and all.

And for that, I have had the greatest honor of growing up with two completely different sides of cultures, foods, expressions, and skin colors. When I was younger it was harder to express to your friends the difference in things BUT the older I got and up till now, my life embraces both sides.


Through these two, I am who I am. A Bi-Racial American who is proud to say that she can come from both colors.

My mother always taught me to always remember who I was. To never be ashamed of skin color or even the colors of others. My traits from my mom & dad I like you to know this Monday is this.

From Mom who I was raised by---my parents went their separate ways after I was three--is the knowledge of the gospel. To read my scriptures daily and always put your shoulder to the wheel and push long. doing your duty in life with a heart full of song. To except others. To except myself. To dance crazy to music loudly at any chance you get. To go shopping for clothes and splurge once in while. To hear the music in everything. To make people feel comfortable and welcome in my home. and always always pray. I shall never forget the many many times of passing my moms bedroom door and seeing her kneel in prayer.

From my Dad comes the talking. I forewarn anyone who gets my Dad going. He's worse then me LOL From him I get most of my face outline...We look exactly alike in the face. Also I get my stubborness in life. To be independent. You'll probably never remember this part but I'm very independent...to the extreme and I have so much trouble in giving things over to other people to do. Just like my Dad. I'm friendly to the extreme just like my Dad. He will be friend anyone that will befriend him.

Now, I know this was long so brownie points for those who read this all the way through. To end...my Skin, I am who I am. Sometimes I think I got so chipped in the skin deal because it takes forever for me to tan and I get SO FREAKIN pale in the winter LOL

But for reals though, these two gave me life. I was born to goodly parents who have loved me in way that I shall never feel unloved. So now you know. Until next Monday-Chow!

9 Lovely FeedBack:

Suzanne said...

Tierra,

What a wondeful tribute to your parents!! I think you are drop dead gorgeous and I love the different mix of races that you have. You are beautiful!

I love that you embrace who you are and are confident and strong! You are an amazing woman! -Suzanne

Ann Marie said...

Your mohter is so beautiful!
I can see some of your Aunt Carolyn.. You can tell they are sisters..

You are such a beautiful baby!
Loved your story...

Ann Marie said...

Sorry.. Mother. Not Mohter..

Sondra said...

Tierra, I loved this post! It is a bunch of fun getting to know you better. You are such a strong, wonderful girl! You have such a postivie attitude in life and strong spiritual values. I can tell that you were raised by Goodly Parents! Amazing! Thanks for sharing this part of who you are - I loved it and think you are awesome!

CJ said...

And you are the loveliest! LoOve getting to know more about you, bloggy friend! If we hung out in the reals life we would never shut up, I am a huuuge talker as well... but to fault. Love your Monday posts!

~Shayla

Unknown said...

Funny, people are never able to label me, either. I've gotten everything from Chinese to Arabic, but very few people can actually identify me for what I am - Cuban.

It is the mingling of the races that makes us so unique as humans. Our DNA is not lily-white, and survival of the fittest is all about the mixing of prime genes to craft the strongest of individuals. So revel in your differences -- they are what make you beautiful, what make you, in a word you. :)

CB said...

Tierra - I love that you embrace who you are and that you tell it like it is!

It is so wonderful how much you love your parents - How you can see the traits you inherited from each. These things definately shape who you are.

I love how your mother instilled such a strong self esteem in you.

You are really beautiful on the inside and the out. I love getting to know you better.

A strong woman can move mountains!

Heather said...

What a great post. I loved it.

I absolutely love those pictures of you. You are so darling in them. I want to take you home. Too cute.

Anonymous said...

Well OC you did it in a way that was tasteful, and so completely you. For that reason alone, I love you and always will for just exactly who you were when I met all those years ago, thinking I thought he said that she was mixed like me too LOL, your just who you are am I lookin forward to see whats too come in the life of Little Miss C. Love you and glad to hear that your party went so well havent seen you in a while miss you love you always.
----Mary----