Monday, September 8, 2008

Elder Bednar


Truly never before have I had such an honer & chance given to me. This past Friday I was able to go down to Knoxville--2 hrs. away--along with my fellow YSA's to hear in person Elder David Bednar speak to us. I really have no clue who all reads my blog and in some ways that's scary BUT I assume that the most part are members from my church. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. For those who are not members and would like to learn more please see the below link or as the kindly TV commercial states..."Just ask your Mormon Neighbor"
http://www.lds.org/

Elder Bednar is one of the 12 Apostles, Another witness to Christ. AS for me personally when I heard him give his talk on the tender mercies of God, He became my favorite apostle. So you can imagine the joy I have truly felt on being able to hear him speak in person. Not only did I get to hear him speak but I was front row, two seats from the center....{Aww!} So were talking up close & personal. Go Me! {Said with extreme amounts of happiness}

To me my church is not just my religion. It's a reflection of who I am. How Ill marry. How I'll raise my children. And how I will endure to the end of this life. Not just something I wear on a Sunday. Being able to listen to Elder Bednar was a chance I would not have missed. Thankfully with my work schedule, I was already stated to have Friday off. Phew! No yelling at boss or threatening to quit! There are no right words to be able to express what a spirit of precious eternal truths that were wall to wall in that chapel, on that Friday night. To remember the lessons taught by Elder Bednar, I'll share a few.

  • You never receive a spiritual gift to help only yourself. Make sure you use it to help others.
  • When you have a precious baby, So tender and small-Remember that they have just come from the presence of Heavenly Father. When I was just a young father myself, my baby son was extremely colicky and my poor wife was still recovering from giving birth. I would take over when she would go to bed. I started to just walk back and forth singing hymns to him to help soothe him to sleep. As I was pacing back and forth I started to think that here he was so small and probably in his mind not sure of anything that was going on. But what I was sure of was that he could probably feel the same spirit he felt from which he just came from and So I began to start reading all the priesthood scriptures to him over and over. Even though he could not understand what I was reading to him, he could feel that same spirit in which it brings to us as adults. The same light of spirit from which he just came. And sure enough it worked. So I ask that you remember to use that when you first start out in your own family. Everything begins in your home.
  • When a loved one has died or a loved one is facing a trial, One immediately goes over to see what they can do. Particularly in the event of a death. The family & friends start pouring out the food and support. But, let me ask who is truly there after some time has set in? After say three months or so have gone by and the loneliness and pain have truly set in to the person or family life-- Who is there to share that same Christ like love and support when it was first given the moments it happened? Be there and express that love even after some time has passed.
  • Faith. Let me share alittle analogy that I have used from time to time. Picture yourself in a complete dark room with only one light above you to show you the way. Faith is believing in something not seen. Would you step out of that circle of light with the faith that the light would move with each step even though from each step you have no idea where it is you step? Or do you pray to have the light move first and then step? In Faith and life we have to go through things we do not want to do or can see at all. It's that faith we must use to step first with the hope that the light will move.

In case your wondering, I don't have a perfect word for word quotation here But I have tried to state each lesson word for word by memory. Elder Bednar spoke for an hour and half. When it was over I truly felt heartbroken. But, I leave my word of testimony that the spirit Elder Bednar brings is a firm testimony that he truly is an apostle of Christ. I was able to shake his hand and tell him sincerely how much it meant to me For having this blessing of hearing him speak.

4 Lovely FeedBack:

Heather said...

I absolutely loved this post. Thanks for the spiritual boost. I also know that Elder Bednar is an apostle of Jesus Christ. I love him and all the apostles and our beloved prophet Thomas S. Monson. Thanks for sharing his words.

Ann Marie said...

Wow! It was some great counsel! It is so wonderful leaving a meeting, and feeling so spiritually fed.

I love these men so much. You are lucky to have met him, and shook his hand. I'm glad you went!

~ And I'm glad for the new post!
You must be busy....

Anonymous said...

He still looks so familiar to me. Like hes somebody that I've seen before or somebody that I should know. I guess he just looks like someone I've come across somewhere and I can't figure out who.

The Wonderful World of Wampler said...

oh, T. for the first time, in a LONG time, I wish I could have gone to one more YSA event. You are so lucky!! I love the post. You have such a great memory. =)

Love ya,