Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Morning with my Granny

Late Friday evening, I received some heartbreaking news. My grandmother, Granny was pronounced brain dead on Friday and was being taken off a ventilator early Saturday morning.
She died of the exact same thing as my mother did except just in the brain and not to the heart.
A blood clot.

Saturday morning, I arose quickly on a beautiful sunny beginning and traveled to the Abingdon Hospital to say goodbye.
Unbelieving as it seemed, I was the first one there.
I spent 25 minutes with just granny and me.
The sun was shinning and I just held her hand.
I thanked her for having the honor of being her granddaughter
and talked about all the things I wanted her to know.
My hopes. My dreams. Plans.

And then it just came to me, that the best way to say goodbye & even though my granny and me are not of the same religious faith, I began to just humm all my favorite hymns to her.

My granny was truly sweet.
Her hands and skin were always so soft and smooth.
She had beautiful clear eyes that made you know that you were beautiful & loved.

Tuesday, will be the funeral.

Nearer My God to Thee
Nearer to Thee
E'en though it be a cross That raiseth Me.
Still all my song to shall be, Nearer my God to thee
Nearer my God to Thee
Nearer to Thee

9 Lovely FeedBack:

{Mo} said...

Oh Tierra, I am so sorry. I've been there and I know how trully hard it is. There is just something special about Grandma's and I miss mine still. I'm glad you got a chance to spend some final quiet moments with her to say goodbye. I'm sending a big hug! Love ya ♥ Monica

Shayla said...

I am so so sorry for your loss!! How wonderful to share those quiet personal moments with her. I hope that her services are beautiful.

Ann Marie said...

I felt so bad after you called and told me. What a sad weekend..

I am so sorry for you.. Words cannot express the sorrow that comes with the Death of a loved one. I hope you will feel " comfort" and love.

What a tender Mercy you had that morning with your grandmother. You are such a sweet girl.
My deepest sympathy~
Ann

CB said...

I am so sorry for your loss Tierra.
It is always hardest for those left behind. I hope your heart feels peace fast.

Anonymous said...

Tierra,
I am so sorry that you lost your granny. I never got to meet her,but your mom had told me that she was really sweet and kind. What a loss for you. Know that she is with God now and looking down on you. She will always be with you.
Love,
Deb

Heather said...

I am so sorry Tierra. You poor thing. Hang in there girl. I am glad you got to spend a little time with her by yourself though.

Amber (EyesofAmber) said...

Tierra,
I am so sorry to hear about your Granny. I've been there and it's so hard. I'm so glad you had that time with her. You will cherish that for the rest of your life. I was by my grandmother's side in the hospital when she passed almost 13 years ago, and I treasure those moments.
You're in our thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Amber
Jon and the boys, too

Suzanne said...

Tierra,

My thoughts, heart and prayers are with you! -Suzanne

Miss Megan said...

Tierra! I am sorry! It doesn't matter if someone has lived a long and full life, it is still so hard to let go and say goodbye. I love that you and your grandma got to have one last tender moment together. I'm glad you told her what is in your heart. You are a brave, brave, beautiful girl. God bless you!