Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dancing? Deverl!!!

22

Ok. I'm sure most of you ladies in the church have seen the movie "Single Ward" thats been out for some time now! And Ive come to the conclusion that every stake has their very own Deverl! You know, NOT so good Deverl! The guy that likes to ask every girl to dance and trys to make the spiritual, marry you right now move. Oh and let's not forget those dear sweet pick up lines like...."I knew our stakes were joined together tonight for a special reason...To see you" WRONG! WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!! Phew! Let me back up. So this weekend was truly eventful! Now that Arie is back we wanted to keep her busy so she agreed to come with us to a regional two stake dance this past Saturday in Knoxville. It s two hour drive and we decided to make it a road trip w/ just the girls.
The ride there was a blast! We talked and laughed and discussed Breaking Dawn even though Arie has NO clue what were talking about but Anyway...We kinda got lost and ended up in the getto BUT we Mormon girls are easily entertained so we decided to just go w/ the flow and skip the activity and head for dinner and then go to the dance. Along the way we saw this church head sign w/ these truly inspiring words to live by.

So let's skip ahead to the dance! It's your typical setting...the cultural hall...lights slightly off...chairs along the wall...church water & cookies to one side...Christmas lights hung along the stage to set the mood...So here I am, things have just started and the dj kicks if off with the cha cha slide. Typical. I return to my seat to chat for abit as I start to entertain myself and count how many guys are coming in...17...18..Wow lets see if we make it to twenty...19..20..BINGO..21...22...23.. Well at least this might be going somewhere! Somewhere after 25 I gave up. We had at least achieved a 30 something guy ratio So the night was looking hopeful to at least dancing w/ a few new guys to pass the time away. And then that's when it happened. My friend whom will call H. turned sharply toward the door and grabbed my hand and said....'Oh crap. Ladies. Look...At...The Door...We all turn and to my horror of horrors the one guy I had completely forgotten about is strutting into the gym. Our very own Deverl. AWWWWWWW RUN LADIES RUN! We all jump at once and everyone takes off in different directions. I decide to make a dash out the side door leading to the kitchen and hall way! WHY OH WHY do we have to have SO many darn doors that lead to the hallways from the GYM????




And WHY OH HEAVENS NAME WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE ME THAT GOT CAUGHT!

Yep, you guessed it... the door he took lead to the hallway I was in. So what does your typical normal caught in-a-trap girl do? Lie. Lie. Lie. LIE! Oh and I jumped or more like flew to the girls bathroom. When I came out I then found the first guy I came to--seriously--asked him to dance and thus proceeded my night. Along w/ everyone else. I wonder if the reason we have a Deverl is so the Lords makes it that way so we meet all kinds of new people and not just sit on the side lines?I can honestly say I danced just about every dance! Everytime he would come within inches from me I would grab the nearest guy I saw. A BIG HUGE heartfelt thanks to all the willing guys we ALL danced with at the drop of a moment to save us from being glued to our Deverl for the 3 hours of the dance. Needless to say it was a entertaining night!

6 Lovely FeedBack:

Ann Marie said...

LOL! I loved the story!

I'm glad your having so much fun with your friend back!!

I loved the bible-belt sign. When you see them, you need to take pictures! We don't often see those signs, so it's fun to read them!!

BTW: Cute picture of you all being " safe " in the restroom!

The Wonderful World of Wampler said...

I am happy to know you danced the night away. Evan and I missed you at dinner......but I knew you were in good company. You know you are going to have to tell me the name of the guy. It's killing me. WHO WAS IT??

Heather said...

LOL!! You make me laugh. I know what you are talking about, but somehow I always got stuck dancing with Deverl at least once.

Heather said...

LOL!! You make me laugh. I know what you are talking about, but somehow I always got stuck dancing with Deverl at least once.

Heather said...

Sorry, I pressed publish twice. :(

Kathy Finch said...

AWWWW Shucks!!! I always miss out on all the fun!!!
You Know way back in the 70's there was a good share of Derverl's then.
Funny how times never change!!